A diaper cake is a uniquely baby-themed cake made of diapers. They are often given as a baby shower gift to new or expectant parents and can be quite stunning in their presentation. While they may seem challenging, learning how to make a diaper cake is quite easy – you just need the right instructions!
In this article, we will introduce you to diaper cakes and provide detailed instructions on how to make one yourself. We’ll also include some ideas for how to decorate your cake. Let’s get to it!
What is a Diaper Cake?
Diaper cakes are a beautiful, practical gift for new parents. They’re made of disposable diapers that you roll and stack to resemble a traditional tiered cake. The layers can be secured in place with rubber bands or ribbon, then decorated as desired using toys, baby essentials like socks or bibs, and more. These gorgeous gifts make a great centerpiece for a baby shower and can be enjoyed long after the party is over.
The diaper cake may go with the baby shower’s theme, or it may be adorned with more general decorations that reflect everything baby. The diaper cake might also represent the mother’s personality or preferences, such as a favorite color, hobby, or character.
What You Need to Make a Diaper Cake
Making your own diaper cake is a lot easier than you might think! Everything on the list is readily available and inexpensive to purchase. The only significant expense will be your baby’s diapers, as well as any additional decorations you choose to add.
Here’s what you need:
- Diapers of your choice – You’ll need enough diapers to make at least three layers of the cake. The number of diapers you’ll need will depend on the size and shape of the cake as well as how tightly you roll each diaper.
- Cardboard paper towel roll – A large piece of cardboard is necessary to create the base and structure of your cake.
- Double sided tape – You’ll need lots of tape, both clear and decorative, to secure the diapers in place.
- Ribbon – You’ll need a few assorted colors or styles of ribbon to wrap around the cake and decorate it.
- Glue – For any added decorations that require a little more hold. Remember, don’t glue the diapers!
- Rubber bands – These are used to hold each layer of rolled diapers together.
- Scissors – You’ll need a pair of scissors to cut the ribbon.
- Twine – A nice finishing touch for your cake is a piece of twine or baker’s string tied around the top.
Decorations of your choice – This is entirely up to you! You can use baby-related items like booties, socks, and bibs, or you may choose to use a theme-related item, such as building blocks.
What Diapers to Use & How Many?
You can use any brand or size of a diaper that is appropriate for your gift recipient’s baby. Some people like to use newborn diapers, while others prefer to use diapers in larger sizes like size one or two.
The number of diapers you’ll need depends on the size and shape of your cake as well as how tightly you roll each diaper. For example, a small round cake will need about 50 diapers while a large, three-tiered cake could require upwards of 100.
When looking for diaper brands to use, consider if there are any patterns or themes that fit the baby shower. Brands like Honest and Huggies often have special diaper designs for baby showers, which can be a fun addition to the cake.
If you’re unsure which direction to go popular diaper brands to use include:
Whichever brand of diaper you choose, be sure that they don’t have any added scents or lotions. These can be irritating to a newborn’s delicate skin.
Now that you know all the supplies, you’ll need to make a diaper cake, we can move on to step one.
DIY Diaper Cake Instructions
Making a diaper cake is a surprisingly simple process that just about anyone can do with a little bit of time and patience. Here is our baby diaper cake tutorial to help you create something sensational!
Step 1: Build your base
The first step is to build your base. Take the cardboard paper towel roll and tape it securely in place at the center of your cake plate or serving dish. This will be the foundation for your cake.
Step 2: Prepare the diapers
Next, you’ll need to roll each diaper individually. Use a rubber band to hold the shape of your rolled diapers together. If you’re using smaller-sized diapers for your cake, use one rubber band per layer. For larger size diapers, two or three layers will be needed per tier (the bottom tier may consist of four or five layers if you’re using larger diapers).
Step 3: Create the first layer of diapers
Now, take your rolled-up diapers and begin placing them around the paper towel tube, making sure to cover the entire base. Start with a layer of large diapers, then fill in any gaps with smaller-sized diapers.
Step 4: Build the second and third layers
Once the first layer of diapers is in place, it’s time to start building the next one. This process is exactly like the first: roll each diaper individually and use rubber bands to keep them together. Make sure that you stagger the placement of your diapers as you build this second layer so that it looks more like a cake than a stack of diapers.
If you’re using three layers, repeat the process for the third layer. Again, make sure to stagger the placement of your diapers for a more realistic look.
Step 5: Add your decorations
Now it’s time to add your decorations. You can either use ribbon or twine to hold them in place, but make sure that you tie everything securely, so the items don’t fall off while they’re being transported to the venue where the shower is taking place.
If you choose a themed cake, consider adding other related items as well like rattles, baby booties, or pacifiers.
Step 6: Finishing touches
Now that your cake is built, you can add any finishing touches to the outside. This could include flowers and greenery, or icing made from baby socks (just be sure to consult with the mother before adding anything edible).
Diaper Cake Decoration Themes
While you can certainly make a plain diaper cake, many people like to add more flair by using themes. Themes can be based on the baby’s gender, how many babies are being born (twins and triplets), or even an entire nursery theme created in miniature form! Some popular options include:
Nautical Diaper Cake
By using blue and white fabrics, anchors, and rope accents, you can create a nautical-themed diaper cake. This would be perfect for a baby shower that’s being held near the ocean or in a coastal town.
Woodland Diaper Cake
A woodland diaper cake is perfect for babies who are due during the fall months. You can use leaves, acorns, and tree branches as decorating accents.
Spring Diaper Cake
For babies due in the spring months, you can create a pastel-colored cake with flowers or butterflies on it. Consider using blue ribbons for boys and pink ones for a girl!
Sports Diaper Cake
If the baby’s parents are sports fans, you can create a diaper cake in the colors and logo of their favorite team. This is a wonderful way to show your support for the new arrival!
Animal Diaper Cake
If the new baby will be joining a zoo of other children, consider making an animal-themed cake. You can use stuffed animals or even toy barnyard creatures if you’re getting creative!
Rainbow Diaper Cake
A rainbow diaper cake is perfect for a gender-neutral shower or for a family that doesn’t yet know the baby’s sex. This can be created easily by using different colored ribbons and fabrics around the cake.
There are countless other themes that you could use for a diaper cake, so don’t feel limited by these ideas. If you can dream it up, chances are good that someone has created a diaper cake themed around it! With enough time and effort, you can create your own unique cake that will wow the guests at any baby shower.
Diaper Cake Decoration Ideas
When it comes to decorations, the sky’s the limit! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use ribbon or tulle to create a bow around the top of your cake. Adding a bow is a great way to add some extra femininity and elegance to your cake.
- Create a “baby’s first year” banner by using fabric or felt letters. This is a great way to commemorate the new arrival and can be displayed on the cake for all to see.
- Use patterned ribbons. Add a little bit of color and personality to your cake by using brightly colored ribbons.
- Decorate with flowers. Flowers are a natural choice for diaper cake decoration, and there are endless possibilities when it comes to types and colors.
- Add baby booties, outfits, rattles, or other small toys as decorations. These can be placed around the edges of the cake or simply placed on top of the tiers/layers.
- Use baby socks as icing. This is a great way to add some color and personality to your cake without adding too much bulk. Just take two pairs of socks – one white, and one other color – roll each pair up into balls, then stack them with rubber bands holding
- Add a stuffed animal at the top of each tier for a fun look. This will give the cake a whimsical appeal.
- Create your own flowers from tissue paper. If you’re looking for something more unique than traditional silk flower arrangements, consider creating them yourself using tissue paper and pipe cleaners or floral wire.
- Place some small gifts around the base or on each tier. These could be baby boy outfits or baby girl outfits, baby wash, burp cloth, trinkets for baby when they’re older and so on.
- Give the décor a modern spin with succulents or greenery. If you want to steer away from traditional flowers, consider using succulents or other types of greenery as part of your décor.
- Wrap string lights around each tier. This will give your cake a festive look, perfect for baby showers that take place during the holidays.
- Cover each tier in fabric. This will give your cake a polished and put-together look.
- Add balloons. Balloons are a great way to add some fun and whimsy to your cake.
- Add sweet treats. Who doesn’t love a little bit of sugar? Add some sweet treats to the top or base layer of your cake for an extra special touch.
- Add a children’s book. If the mother-to-be is a book lover, consider adding a children’s book to one of the tiers. This can be a great keepsake for years to come.
The possibilities for diaper cake decoration are endless, so let your imagination run wild! With just a few simple ideas and items, you can create a stunning and unique cake that will be the talk of the shower.
Can I use regular diapers?
Yes! You can use whatever kind of diapers you’d like for a diaper cake. If possible, try to find diapers in bulk so that it’s easier to make the cake.
Do I have to use disposable diapers?
No, you don’t have to. If you’d prefer, you can also use cloth diapers – just make sure that they’re washed and dried before using them in the cake.
Can you make a cloth diaper cake?
Yes, you can use cloth diapers. Just make sure that the rolled diaper tiers are arranged nicely so that it looks like a cake.
Can I make the cake ahead of time?
It’s best to assemble the diaper cake as close to the shower as possible, but, if necessary, it can be assembled the day before. The diapers will keep their shape, but they might get a little crinkly after sitting out overnight.
Can I make multiple diaper cakes?
Yes! If you’re having a baby shower for twins or triplets, it’s easy to make multiple cakes. Just follow steps one through four above, but with more diapers and ribbons than necessary (you may need two or three times as many).
How do I make a small diaper cake?
If you’re looking to make a smaller cake, just use fewer diapers in each tier. You can also reduce the size of the cake by using thinner ribbons and fewer layers. A mini diaper cake is a great centerpiece too!
Shop our collection of accessories and outfits that will help you give your baby shower diaper cake present an extra special touch.
A diaper cake is a fun and unique way to celebrate the arrival of a new baby. They are easy to make and can be decorated in so many different ways. Whether you’re a new mom looking for some inspiration or just want to get creative with your gift, we hope this how to make a diaper cake tutorial and diaper cake decoration ideas have given you all you need!
So, we’ve shown you how to make a unique diaper cake centerpiece, now it’s time for you to get creative with your own designs. Be sure to check out our Bebe Couture accessories collection to add the perfect finishing touch to your cake. Thanks for reading, and happy crafting!
For more resources on all things baby shower check out: